Financial Resolutions for the New Year with Squirrel

Financial Resolutions for the New Year with Squirrel

With 2018 swooping down on us, I’ve had a chance to think about my financial resolutions for the New Year.

The last year has been really hard for me and Jay. We took on a new house that needed a much bigger level of renovation than we originally thought. We’re also planning a wedding in the same year we both moved jobs.

He moved to a new job at the beginning of April and I moved in the middle. We were mid house renovation at the time, and ended up using credit cards to complete the renovation.

We had planned to move in to the house about March 2017, having bought the house in January. But we were renovating it for six months, up until June. This meant, when we moved in, we had ten months to start saving for our wedding, as well as trying to pay off credit card debts.

It’s been an incredible year: the year we bought our house, the year I figured out what I actually wanted to do with my life. It’s been an expensive one too.

The wedding has EXPLODED (no one else to blame other than myself) and it’s becoming bigger and bigger every month. We’re now at 90 day guests and 140 evening guests. It’s been seriously tough, saving £650 per month for the last 6 months, and we’ll be continuing to do so until the month of the wedding (April).

New Year Resolutions

That’s why I’m thinking about financial resolutions for the new year. We want to get some debt paid off, save everything we need to for our wedding without stretching ourselves too thin, and be able to take a trip. We haven’t been on holiday since September 2016, and probably won’t go abroad now until our honeymoon in December 2018.

By the time mortgage, bills, food, petrol money, car insurance, credit card payments, and wedding savings come out, I’m not left with very much. I find it difficult to manage which account to transfer money to and from (I have multiple bank accounts for different things).

How Squirrel Could Help

If this sounds like you as well, an app like Squirrel might help. It makes saving in the new year much easier and manages all your finances for you.

You can select the amounts of your monthly expenses and direct debits, then how much money you want to save each month. The app keeps your savings safe and automatically puts the money for your bills into your account the day before they’re due to come out.

Money that you’re ‘allowed’ to spend on fun things can be put into your account all at once for the month, or can be broken down into weekly amounts.

If you’re the sort of person who spends bill money accidentally, this might be a wonderful solution for you. I love being able to see how much I can spend safely every month without going into an overdraft.

Do you think you could benefit from an app like Squirrel? There’s a free 3-month trial if you want to use it to help keep your financial resolutions in the New Year!

*Collaborative post

Liked this? Share it! Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on StumbleUponShare on LinkedInShare on Google+

14 Comments

1. December 12, 2017 / 3:11 pm

This is a fantastic post. I’m the same, we’ve just taken on a house where we’ve had to buy all the furniture and it’s left us in poor financial state. I could definitely use an app like this to organise my finances.

Ffi | The Essence Of Red

• sarahaelsley
      December 12, 2017 / 3:14 pm

That’s the thing, it’s not just the house but the furniture, appliances, even plates and cutlery. Thanks for commenting Ffi!

2. December 12, 2017 / 3:23 pm

It sounds great! Although I’m not earning and I survive on university funding and parents Income this seems so useful and I’ll be recommending it to my parents! Great post x

• sarahaelsley
      December 12, 2017 / 3:24 pm

I think it definitely makes it easier to see what can and can’t be spend so you’re not at risk of going over budget. Thanks for the comment!

3. December 12, 2017 / 7:31 pm

This sounds great. I recently went freelance so this wouldn’t work for me right now as I can’t know for sure what is coming in each month but I could definitely see myself using it in the future x

Sophie

• sarahaelsley
      December 12, 2017 / 7:55 pm

Oh that’s a point, I hadn’t thought of it working for freelancers or bloggers. Thanks for reading 🙂

4. December 12, 2017 / 8:19 pm

I love financial resolutions. I’ve been working hard to sort out my money over the last year (I bought my own place in January) and I’m not doing badly at saving, but I’m mainly just transferring a bit between accounts every month. An app that helps me stay on track sounds awesome 🙂

• sarahaelsley
      December 12, 2017 / 8:24 pm

Yeah I think so, especially when you’re trying to manage multiple accounts with all sorts of things coming out at different times!

5. December 13, 2017 / 2:02 am

This sounds like a really useful app. I currently live with my parents but I’m saving up to rent from next year and I know an app like this would be of great help. I wish you all the best with your wedding plans, I’m sure everything will work out great!

/ ORRBLOG

• sarahaelsley
      December 13, 2017 / 8:01 am

It does sound like a useful app! Thanks 🙂

6. December 14, 2017 / 11:36 pm

I’m saving for a house, travel, and photography equipment (I’m a freelance photographer as well as a blogger) and it’s TOUGH. Squirrel could be just what I need and I’ll be giving that free trial a go to see if it works for me.

• sarahaelsley
      December 15, 2017 / 9:03 am

You’ll have to let me know if it works for you! Thanks for commenting Laura.

7. December 17, 2017 / 7:26 pm

I’m honestly dreadful when it comes to saving, so this app looks like it could really work for me!

On another note, I wish you all the best of luck and happiness on your weding day! April seems a while off, but that will definitely creep up on you!

Katt x

• sarahaelsley
      December 17, 2017 / 9:19 pm

We’ve been engaged for two years and it could have been last week it’s gone so fast! You’ll have to let me know if you try the app to see how it is! Thanks for commenting Katt.