What It’s Really Like to be an Interiors Blogger

What It’s Really Like to be an Interiors Blogger

I’m writing this post to be truthful, about what it’s really like to be an interiors blogger.

I’ll definitely be shutting down some illusions, showing what’s really behind the pictures, and just generally showing that no one’s home is perfect, you should’t aspire to everything you see on Pinterest, and I always have a pile of washing about three feet high.

1. What’s in the background will shock you

What you see on my Instagram:

What’s actually behind me:

2. Your camera reel looks a little like this:

Phone camera reel showing loads of pictures of the same kitchen from tons of different angles

And then you have to sort through them all, delete the ones you don’t like, and edit the ones you do.

3. You can’t use the photos you’ve just spent ages taking because you’ve realised you haven’t arranged the teatowel neatly, and…

Kitchen stove with a wonky teatowel on it.

4. …the lighting is shocking.

5. You spend most of your time stealing decor items from other rooms for a picture. No we never have THAT many candles on one surface.

6. My bedrooms are no way near nice enough to post on any form of social media (not even Google+). They’re the last rooms we’re renovating and have green carpets.

7. No, my coffee table doesn’t look like that all the time

Coffee table with books and plants on it.

8. In fact, that plant normally belongs in the bathroom and you can see a nice scratch on our second-hand coffee table which we normally cover up with coasters.

9. The cat usually ends up in the photos by accident

10. My decor isn’t all from independent boutiques, John Lewis or Amara. Think more The Range and eBay.

My dining room with rug, pendant light and mirror

11. Our house was done on a budget and nearly all our wooden furniture is second hand (we’re not made of cash, we do have a wedding to plan).

12. Don’t ask me anything to do with actual interior design. I don’t know if those curtains will go with your cushions.

13. My house never looks this tidy all the time.The likelihood too is that all the photos I post on Instagram over a month’s period were all taken on the same day when the room was actually clean.

So there you have it.

Being an interiors blogger isn’t all it’s made out to be.

22 Comments

1. December 31, 2017 / 1:31 pm

Whether it’s all it’s made out to be, or if the table is a bit messy, you have a beautiful kitchen…x
    Totally with you on the rearranging candles etc though

Sophie

• sarahaelsley
      December 31, 2017 / 1:34 pm

Thanks Sophie! Yes, the point is that you can have a stunning home, and it doesn’t have to be perfect all the time. Thanks for the comment 🙂

2. January 1, 2018 / 9:39 pm

I actually really loved this post, it was really honest and I loved seeing behind the scenes shots, I would have loved to have seen some more before/after photos of the areas you photograph!

Ffi | The Essence of Red

• sarahaelsley
      January 2, 2018 / 7:56 am

Maybe that’s something I could start doing, taking before photos when it looks like a normal house. Thanks for the comment!

3. January 6, 2018 / 4:25 pm

This made me think about how often we show people only the good parts of our lives on social media and often leave out the not-so-rosy parts. Nevertheless you’ve done a great job with your home. I love the post!

/ ORRBLOG

• sarahaelsley
      January 10, 2018 / 3:55 pm

It’s so true, and that makes people think they’re not good enough, or their house isn’t nice/tidy enough. I just wanted to prove that what you see isn’t always real.

4. January 9, 2018 / 6:33 pm

I love this post! I don’t take many pictures of my house but the bits I do are always neatly arranged, hiding the piles of mail or the cat 🙂 and I’m a big fan of secondhand as well – my dining table and chairs are heavy dark wood from Next… but I got them off a facebook group, almost new, at a huge reduction from the original price because the person selling was moving and had no room for them!

The TEO Girl | http://www.tryeverythingonce.co.uk

• sarahaelsley
      January 10, 2018 / 3:54 pm

A lot of our second-hand stuff was almost new or completely undamaged with a huge discount! I’ll always take that route instead of buying new.

5. January 12, 2018 / 10:36 am

I love this post! It’s great to see what goes on behind the scenes, I’ve you a little reality check but still so inspiring! You’ve got an amazing kitchen x

• sarahaelsley
      January 12, 2018 / 10:45 am

Thanks Jess! Just wanted to show that we don’t all have super tidy, perfect homes all the time.

6. Shamaila
    January 12, 2018 / 10:53 am

Beautiful home and it’s great to see it’s not perfect all the time!

7. January 12, 2018 / 11:47 am

Oh I love this post – really made me laugh! I always think it must be such hard work being an interiors blogger. On the odd occasion I have photographed my home, I’m always exhausted by the time the post is live. I could dispel a few myths about being a food blogger!

• sarahaelsley
      January 12, 2018 / 11:55 am

Glad you liked it Helen. I think all bloggers could show a ‘true’ reality of what their actual blogging lives are like! And we’d probably all be surprised. Thanks for commenting.

8. January 12, 2018 / 9:19 pm

This is funny. Food bloggers are the same – here’s a serene picture of the cake. Just out of shot: a fire in the sink, a cat eating icing and a cake on the floor!
    BTW, this is your first home? You are winning, it’s beautiful! cx

• sarahaelsley
      January 13, 2018 / 2:31 pm

Yes I’d love to see what a food blogger’s kitchen looks like after a bake! Thank you, it is our first home and we’re very proud of it 🙂

9. January 13, 2018 / 8:38 pm

Ha completely agree with all of it. After spending my first 5 years as a blogger renovating, we hardly had anything pretty to share!

• sarahaelsley
      January 13, 2018 / 8:45 pm

It’s so tough. Your blog is beautiful so I suppose I’ll get there one day!

10. January 17, 2018 / 2:18 pm

This post made me smile 🙂 I write alot about of flowers and I have a camera roll full of blurry flowers cos it’s windy and as for natural light… we live in the NW. but I’m glad I found your blog. lots of love Bec xx

• sarahaelsley
      January 17, 2018 / 2:19 pm

Thanks for commenting Bec! Hahah I understand exactly how you feel, I’m NW too…

• January 17, 2018 / 2:41 pm

it made me smile – I’m always moving things around in the house for photos. Im in eccles in Salford 🙂 I see you’re in chester. Have a wonderful wedding too 🙂 I got married last september (purple dress!) love bec x

11. January 17, 2018 / 9:23 pm

This is so true, though I’m not an interiors blogger I can often be found scrubbing one corner of a room so I can take a photo of something for my blog. There’s always one immaculate corner of my house at least 🙂

• sarahaelsley
      January 17, 2018 / 9:24 pm

Hah yes! Or when I actually put the dishes away, I’ll take a million pictures of the draining board and sink