What Reading Meant to me as a Child

What Reading Meant to me as a Child

When I was a kid, the weekly visit to the library on a Saturday was amazing, because I absolutely loved reading.

I was allowed to pick three books every week and could just take them home with me! Of course, they always had to be returned, but the library visit truly felt like a magical experience.

I would love to be able to do the same with my children. Local libraries are so important, and I try to support mine whenever I can. Not really for me, but for my children. I’d love to be able to take them to Story Time, or Rhythm and Rhyme, so they can learn in a fun environment that isn’t school.

This library trip wasn’t complete without a trip to the shop for sweeties! I have such fond memories as a child of going from the library with an armful of shiny new books (to me, anyway) to the shop to get £1 worth of sweets. This was a lot back then. Nowadays it would get you 1 and a half chocolate bars. Back then, it would get me 2 drumsticks, 3 flumps, a Taz, 2 boxes of candy sticks, a big bar of Cadbury’s chocolate and the infamous Dip Dab.

Then we would all trek back home with armfuls of sweets and books — is there anything better? — and read and eat all afternoon. Wasn’t childhood the best life!

I was always reading as a child, which is odd because my parents aren’t big readers. However, they always made sure we had a bath and a story as part of our bedtime routine. There came a time when I started reading a bedtime story to my younger brother.

Even now, I have to read at least a few pages before bed. It relaxes my mind, and prepares me for going to sleep. I’m sure it’s because it is always something I’ve done.

To reminisce and feel true nostalgia, I’ve listed some of my favourite children’s books from when I was a child.

My Favourite Childhood Books

1. Rainbow Fish

Reading

2. Goosebumps

Children's reading

3. We’re Going on a Bear Hunt

4. Winnie the Witch

5. The Enormous Crocodile

For more book-related work, check out my Library category.

#KLTR

Kids Love To Read - Laura's Lovely Blog
Liked this? Share it! Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on StumbleUponShare on LinkedInShare on Google+

11 Comments

1. July 17, 2017 / 8:06 pm

What a lovely reminiscing post! Makes me smile to think back to my reading history!

• sarahaelsley
      July 17, 2017 / 8:08 pm

Glad you thought so! I was reminiscing whilst making this list. I’d forgotten half the books I used to read as a child.

2. RaisieBay
    July 18, 2017 / 11:14 am

I loved going to the library so much as a child that I grew up to be a librarian! My older kids used to come to the library after school until it was home time for me. My kids love going to the library although the one where we live now is a little further to walk to, but it is opposite the park!

• sarahaelsley
      July 18, 2017 / 11:42 am

Aw I always wanted to be a librarian (Still do really!), though it’s probably not as idyllic as it sounds. I love seeing families in the library, or especially when children are sitting down and reading together.

3. July 18, 2017 / 12:16 pm

Oh I miss having a local library to take my kids to – there are lots of libraries in Prague, but understandably not so many books in English. Some great books featured here – we especially love the Enormous Crocodile too! #KLTR

• sarahaelsley
      July 18, 2017 / 12:18 pm

So many libraries are closing down now it’s so sad. I loved the Enormous Crocodile as a kid!

4. August 13, 2017 / 10:58 am

Oh I remember how much I used to love to go to my local library too and used to nag my Mum to take me if I had read all my books, I don’t know what I would have done without it. I loved anything by Roald Dahl! Thanks for linking up to #KLTR

• sarahaelsley
      August 14, 2017 / 7:51 am

Yes they’re such nice memories! Roald Dahl has probably formed the majority of people’s childhood memories.

5. August 13, 2017 / 8:57 pm

This is a lovely post, I have such find memories of reading when I was younger too. Lovely memories! #kltr

• sarahaelsley
      August 14, 2017 / 7:51 am

Reading as a child is so important, thanks for reading!

6. Angela Milnes
    August 13, 2017 / 10:50 pm

Oh I do like the rainbow fish book. It is a fun book to read. I also went to the library as a child and loved choosing new books. I try to take my daughter to the library too! Thanks for linking up to KLTR